- November 20, 2013
- Posted by: Mark Drakeford AM
- Category: News
Mark Drakeford AM has welcomed a new housing bill that will tackle unscrupulous landlords and family homelessness.
The wide-ranging legislation will make a difference to thousands of people across Cardiff West who are currently struggling with housing difficulties.
The bill includes:
• Plans to enable Cardiff Council to charge a higher rate of council tax on empty homes.
• The introduction of a mandatory licensing scheme with added accreditation for all landlords and letting agents in the private rented sector.
• A stronger duty on local authorities to prevent homelessness.
• New standards for quality of accommodation for local authority and housing association properties.
Welsh Labour’s Housing Minister Carl Sargeant said: “The Welsh Government is determined to make a positive difference to people’s lives and to do all it can to meet housing need.
“This Bill is very welcome as it will make a significant contribution to this Government’s priority of delivering more homes, better homes and better services across Wales.”